What is a Kanban?
In a value stream, a Kanban is a signal; usually a ‘card’ authorizing production or delivery of required products or services, which is initiated by consumption from down-stream operations. Kanbans are used most often in the ordering of supplies because they keep costs low.
How to Create a Kanban Card
Create a Kanban card for a product or service by the following steps:
- Create minimum/maximum levels of products used in a designated time frame.
- Create the Kanban Card; The Kanban Card should be large enough so that it is easily visible. Use colored paper and laminate the card if possible. The card should include:
- Name and item number of the product or service
- Minimum quantity
- Maximum quantity
- Standard re-order quantity
- Suppliers name
- Set up the Kanban Card and system. Place the Kanban Card
on the re-order buffer stock.
For more information on Kanban and how Juran can help you leverage it to improve business quality and productivity, please get in touch with the team.
|Check out Juran’s|
LSS Training Courses
|Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt|
|Lean Six Sigma Green Belt|
|Lean Six Sigma Black Belt|
|Upgrade to Black Belt|
|Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt|
|Lean Expert Program|