What is a Kanban?
In a value stream, a Kanban is a signal; usually a ‘card’ authorizing production or delivery of required products or services, which is initiated by consumption from down-stream operations. Kanbans are used most often in the ordering of supplies because they keep costs low.
How to Create a Kanban Card
Create a Kanban card for a product or service by the following steps:
- Create minimum/maximum levels of products used in a designated time frame.
- Create the Kanban Card; The Kanban Card should be large enough so that it is easily visible. Use colored paper and laminate the card if possible. The card should include:
- Name and item number of the product or service
- Minimum quantity
- Maximum quantity
- Standard re-order quantity
- Suppliers name
- Set up the Kanban Card and system. Place the Kanban Card
on the re-order buffer stock.
For more information on Kanban and how Juran can help you leverage it to improve business quality and productivity, please get in touch with the team.
|Check out Juran’s|
LSS Training Courses
|Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt|
|Lean Six Sigma Green Belt|
|Lean Six Sigma Black Belt|
|Upgrade to Black Belt|
|Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt|
|Lean Expert Program|
For the past 75 years, Juran has been an industry leader in performance excellence. We are your on-demand team of trainers, coaches, and expert consultants. Built upon the philosophies laid out by Dr. Juran, the father of quality, we put you on the fast track to results by designing improvement initiatives that actually work. We aim to help all organizations achieve the highest quality of products, people, and processes, and we understand the importance of transferring our knowledge to your team to guarantee the success of your program in the future.